I wasn’t sure what to write this week, so I decided to share a bit about my writing process. Boring, you say? No way! Okay, okay, it may be boring, but I’m going to try and make it as interesting as possible lol :). Here it goes.
A few of my favorite things (to write) are:
1) Dialogue: I love, love, love writing these scenes! There’s nothing I love more than when characters talk to each other. The banter, jokes, back and forth, the flirting, those scenes are my favorites.
2) Character names: What can I say? I love naming my characters. I have a lot of fun with this (maybe too much fun) and even write it down when I hear a great name. No really, I have a list. Some of my favorite authors come up with the best character names. Gail Carriger, Suzanne Collins and J.K. Rowling come to mind.
3) Titles: I’ve read that a lot of authors have trouble with this. Believe it or not, this is usually the first thing I come up with. Even before I have a concrete idea for the story itself, the title just pops into my head and stays there. Typically, the title informs me what the book should be about, and I take it from there. (Note: ADORKABLE has always been the title for Sally and Becks’s story. It started that way and never changed <3).
4) Kissing scenes: A great kiss can make or break a book for me. I love reading them. I used to be hesitant about writing them, but now, I just try and let the characters have their moment. First kisses in particular can be earth-shattering. The kiss factor is very important in any romance, and I will continue to work hard to deliver the swoon.
5) The Real: I love it when characters show their true colors. Whether it’s geeking out, freaking out, having a good cry or confessing their love for the first time, I love being there with my characters when things get real.
And there you have it, a few of my favorite things!
Writing can be frustrating at times, but these are parts of the process I really enjoy. Also, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me get the word out last week! Thank you for the support and for making the ADORKABLE Kindle Countdown Deal a success. I truly appreciate it and hope you all have a great weekend!