I love music. I really, really do. So, of course, I make a book playlist for each of my books. Typically, this is a cumulative process, and I add songs as I’m writing as well as after I’ve reached the end. Some songs represent a character and their feelings; others represent a scene (some fit so perfectly in my head that it’s crazy). ADORKABLE‘s Book Playlist had several of my all-time favorites. I’ve included a few music videos and what the songs represent to me. Hope you enjoy!
“Sweet Disposition” by The Temper Trap is truly one of my favorite songs. It represents Sally and this book and how Sally feels about Becks and how Becks feels about Sally…sigh. It represents ADORKABLE in all ways :).
“Can You Tell” by Ra Ra Riot is so Becks it’s not even funny. These lyrics: Oh have I been too discreet? How long am I supposed to wait? Absolutely, totally Becks–and he would have gladly waited as long as he needed to for Sally…and she would have waited for him.
This is the song I picture playing at the party during the shaving scene (which btw is one of my most favorite scenes!) <3.
The breakup scene :(. Tegan & Sara do heartache/breakup/yearning songs like no one else. “Call It Off” has exactly the right feel.
Annnd the happily-ever-after :). Just being honest–and maybe this makes me a total girl–but DMB’s “Crash Into Me” is perfect for just about every love story ever. This version of the song, though, I think is perfect for Sally and Becks.
THE ADORKABLE BOOK PLAYLIST
- “Sweet Disposition” by The Temper Trap
- “Can You Tell” by Ra Ra Riot
- “The Way I Am” by Ingrid Michaelson
- “July Flame” by Laura Veirs
- “So Insane” by Discovery
- “The Trial of the Century” by French Kicks
- “Hysteric” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- “Powerful Stuff” by Sean Hayes
- “Call It Off” by Tegan and Sara
- “Your Song” by Kate Walsh
- “Nicest Thing” by Kate Nash
- “Hyperballad” by Whitley
- “Syrup & Honey” by Duffy
- “Oh Boy” by Duffy
- “She’s Got You High” by Mumm-Ra
- “Heart Skipped a Beat” by The XX
- “Tessellate” by Tokyo Police Club
- “I’m With You” by The Stills
- “Crash Into Me” by Dave Matthews Band (Live at Folsom Field, Boulder Colorado)